Firstly, apologies for the delay in publication! This was due to illness with the web editor!
Report from David Almond, Team Captain U140 squad.
Lancashire 8.5 – 3.5 Yorkshire, Venue Latvian Club Bradford, 2nd February
After my pre-match pep talk, about our tendency to take early draws, the reason we lost to Cumbria in the last round. And the fact that it was imperative that we beat Yorkshire or we are eliminated from the competition.
Well, you certainly delivered the goods, a resounding win 3-5 to 8 -5 for us, puts at the top of the league and first nominee, which gives us an easier way into the final stages, probably w/e 16th or 17th of May (Famous Last Words, Editor).
I was deeply involved in my game, (and sucking a Jakeman’s cough lozenge,(sugar for the brain). when someone either Pete Dickinson or John Addison whispered that we were 6 up, I bit into my Jakeman and broke a tooth, now going to have to break into my meagre pension pot to pay a dentist!
Appreciations must go out especially to:-
- Danny for playing top board.
- Pete Dickinson for his assistance. Taking the pressure off me, so I could concentrate on my game
- Dave Innes for dragging himself from his sickbed.
- Dave Tuke played on right up to the wire but lost in a winning position due to forgetting to press his clock.
- Steve Flaherty, who’s done more than his fair share of driving, Who due to my navigational skills, acquired in HM forces got him lost ( It was different in the desert)
- Ben O’Rourke, first to draw, who took a draw after the score was 6-0 but had the decency to ask me.
The real star of the show must be the man who didn’t play, Pete Dickinson.
Dave Innes went sick and Pete got me a replacement at short notice ( Pete Logan thanks Peter) then dragged Dave Innes out of his bed drove them both to Bradford, gave up his seat to Dave ( a higher graded player ) at his suggestion, and then did the match card scoring .
Thanks, Pete! Hope you can play in the next round and I’ll build my team around you.
Dave Almond – a broken man (tooth that is )
|1||Robson , Owen R||136||0||McMenamen , Danny||133||1
|2||Webster , Vivien||128||0||Ellis , Gareth||139||1
|3||Oliver , Bruce R||134||0||Addison , John||134||1
|4||Grice Alec||138||0||Innes , Dave||130||1
|5||Pearce , Neville||133||0||Almond , David S||133||1
|6||Mills , David G||135||1/2||Hart , Robert||130||1/2
|7||Lee , Stephen K||132||1||Tuke , Dave||132||0
|8||Kumaar Sai Chinmayee||123||1/2||Morris , Bob||129||1/2
|9||Stickland Ian D||124||1/2||O'Rourke, T Ben||120||1/2
|10||Weller , collin||122||1/2||Flaherty , Steve||126||1/2
|11||Andrews , Norman G||128||1/2||Logan , Peter||117||1/2
|12||Matthews , Graham W||127||0||Coltman , Andre||121||1
|TOTAL SCORE||3.5||TOTAL SCORE||8.5